In January of 1926, George Edward (Ed) Jones and his wife Edna, established our company, first located at
323 W. 6th Street in Amarillo, Texas. In November 1929, the business was moved to 316 W. 6th Street and named Sears and Jones Electric Co. In 1942 , the company was moved to it's present location at 212 N.
Polk Street as Jones Electric Co. By 1944, business was good and the size of the building was doubled. Rapid growth dictated another doubling in
size in 1948 along with incorporation and the name change to G. E. Jones Electric Co., Inc.
G. E. Jones was honored through out his tenure as our company's leader. January 1938 Jones Electric joined an association called NISA, the National Industrial Service Association. This association was founded in 1933 during the great depression under the National Recovery Act to establish and use codes of business practice in order to bolster the national economy. Ed Jones was instrumental in the organization of and was the first president of the Southwestern Chapter of NISA from 1946 - 1948. Later he was honored to serve as the International President of NISA in 1954-1955. Later in 1962 the name of the association was changed to EASA, the Electrical Apparatus Service Association.
G. E. Jones passed away in 1963. His wife, Edna Jones, inherited the controlling interests of the corporation. Mrs. Jones depended heavily on the operating skills of her son in law and Executive Vice President, K. A. Stratton, to keep the direction of the business going forward. K was honored by serving as the President of the Southwestern Chapter of EASA in 1972 - 1973. Under K's expert leadership the company experienced it's most rapid growth. In 1976 - 1977, the building was doubled again to it's present size. Also in 1976 Mrs. Jones passed away and K. A. Stratton took over the reigns as the company's President. K retired in April 1998 and remained involved in the business on a part time basis until his untimely death in February of 2004.
Our third generation of leadership began in November of 1971 when George Stratton, K's son, joined the company. Sam Wands, K's son in law, started with the company in August, 1973. George followed the technical end of the business while Sam concentrated on the sales and bookkeeping end of it. George is presently serving as President of the corporation. Sam left the company in 2003 to persue a career in sales. G. E. Jones' daughter, Norma Stratton, is involved in the company as Vice President.
George has followed in his Grandfather's and Father's footsteps. He served the Southwestern Chapter of EASA on their Board of Directors and as their President in 1994 - 1995. Soon after that he was honored by his peers by being elected to serve as the Southwestern Chapter's Director on EASA's Board of Directors in June of 2000 culminating as Chairman of the Board in 2007 and 2008.
Presently there is a fourth generation involved. In August of 1998 George's son-in-law, Jerry Wood, joined our company. For a short time Kimberly, George's daughter, worked as a counter salesman while Jerry was performing the duties of Purchacing Agent. The rest you can guess. The wedding was in June of 2007.
With great pride for over 90 years the family still holds this tightly held corporation.
G.E. Jones Electric Co., Inc.
Street...204 N. Polk Street - 79107
Mailing...PO Box 2049 - 79105
We're On Facebook!
Electric Motors Sales and Service
Welding Power Supply Repair
Centrifugal Pump Repair
Variable Frequency Drives
CERUS - Motor Controls, Yaskawa - Variable Frequency Drives and DC Motor Control, B & W - Level Control, Time Mark - Voltage Monitors, Buss Fuses, Gas and Diesel Industrial Engine Controls, and others.